Recent Posts

Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sacred Sunday

This coming Wednesday marks the beginning of the Lenten Season of 2013.  Lent is a 40 day period before Easter.  It is a time of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving.  During the lenten season, we prepare our hearts and minds for the death of Jesus Christ on Good Friday and the resurrection of Jesus Christ on Easter Sunday.  




The 40 days of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving help us to love Jesus better and to become more in communion with Him.  In order to determine how to prepare during the lenten season, it is great to break it up into categories of prayer, fasting, and almsgiving. 

{Prayer}
What can I do to increase my prayer life?

  • spending 10 minutes of silence in prayer 
  • turn off the radio in the car when traveling & use that time for prayer and silence
  • read 30 minutes of scripture (open up that bible!) 


{Fasting}
What can I give up that is taking time away from growing deeper in my relationship with God?
  • limit time spent on the internet & be specific 
    • I will spend only 20 mins on Facebook, Pinterest, & Blogspot 
  • give up one of your favorite foods or drinks
    • I will give up coffee 
    • I will give up sweets  

{Almsgiving}
How can I help my brothers and sisters in Christ?
  • give your friends words of encouragement
    • write letters of gratitude and thanks to those who have challenge you to be the person you are today
  • go to a nursing home and visit the elderly  

What will you do for the Lenten season to grow closer to Jesus Christ?

God Bless, 



  

0 Comments:

Post a Comment